Markets are called to open higher this morning.
Sanofi agreed to pay $700 million for access to drugs developed by Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc. and a 12 percent stake in the biotechnology company, expanding its investments in treatments for rare genetic diseases. Sanofi’s Genzyme unit will gain expanded access to Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Alnylam’s patisiran, a treatment for a rare life-threatening disease that damages the nervous system, as well as the rights to develop and market three other drugs, Paris-based Sanofi said in a statement today. Sanofi also gets an option on all of Alnylam’s drugs for rare genetic diseases, the company said.
Federal Reserve board members Charles Plosser and Richard Fisher will speak tomorrow after a smaller-than-estimated 74,000 gain in December payrolls eased concern the U.S. will accelerate stimulus cuts.
WHAT TO WATCH:
• Basel Committee Makes Concessions to Banks on Debt-Limit Rules
• Portugal Sees Possible Bond Auctions Before It Exits Bailout
• Oi’s Portugal Merger Hits Snag as Investors Get Bargaining Chip
• London Finance Job Vacancies Fell 21% in 2013: Recruiter
• Third of U.K. Workers Will Look for New Job in 2014: Reed
• Iceland Loses Patience as Bank Creditor Settlements Drag On
• Resonance Boosts Funds to $100 Million, Buys U.K. Wind Farms
• Alcatel Said to Hold Talks With Unify on Enterprise Unit Sale
• Toshiba in Talks to Raise Stake in NuGen to 60%: Nikkei
• Dart Energy Entered Into a Farm-Out Agreement With Total E&P
• BlackRock’s Bolton Faces Italy Proceeding Over Saipem Trade
• Prada Said to Be Under Investigation for Tax Evasion
• Symrise Raises Probi Stake to 30.03%, Triggers Mandatory Bid
EARNINGS All times CET, estimates where available:
• Suedzucker (SZU GR) 7am, 3Q earnings
• Jeronimo Martins (JMT PL) post-mkt, full-yr sales EU11.9b
• Greene King (GNK LN) 8am, 3Q sales/IMS
• Metro (MEO GY) 7:30am, 1Q sales EU18.7b
Good day and happy trading!
The Calamatta Cuschieri Traders Blog is available daily on CC WebTrader. Other market coverage including coverage of the International Bond Markets is also available.
The information provided on this website is being provided solely for educational and informational purposes and should not be construed as investment advice, advice concerning particular investments or investment decisions, or tax or legal advice. Similarly any views or opinions expressed on this website are not intended and should not be construed as being investment, tax or legal advice or recommendations. Investment advice should always be based on the particular circumstances of the person to whom it is directed, which circumstances have not been taken into consideration by the persons expressing the views or opinions appearing on this website. Calamatta Cuschieri & Co. Ltd. (CC) has not verified and consequently neither warrants the accuracy nor the veracity of any information, views or opinions appearing on this website. You should always take professional investment advice in connection with, or independently research and verify, any information that you find or views or opinions which you read on our website and wish to rely upon, whether for the purpose of making an investment decision or otherwise. CC does not accept liability for losses suffered by persons as a result of information, views or opinions appearing on this website.
This website is owned and operated by Calamatta Cuschieri & Co. Ltd (Co. Reg. No. C13729) of 5th Floor, Valletta Buildings, South Street, Valletta VLT 1103, Malta. CC is licensed to conduct Investment Services in Malta by the Malta Financial Services Authority.